About Highland Beach
For a little peace and quiet, Highland Beach offers a multitude of opportunities for quiet luxury living near the beach. Lush, tropical landscaping and verdant grounds with trees and foliage frame this coastal city. With bright blue waters, and all the luxury amenities of life nearby, Highland beach is a premier destination to call home.
Incorporated in 1949, Highland Beach was named for the relatively high position of its dune crest which gives commanding ocean views to its residents. Immaculately situated, Highland Beach encompasses 0.6 square miles along State Road A1A nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway. It is bounded in the north and northwest by the city of Delray Beach and on the south and southwest by the city of Boca Raton.
With exquisite white-sand beaches stretching all along Highland Beach?s lush tropical landscape, this spectacular coastal city also offers a quiet setting where Intracoastal and ocean access entice boat owners and residents are able to take full advantage of prime waterfront living.
When one wants to experience a more metropolitan flavor, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach are at their doorstep offering easy access to a wealth of shopping and dining. For those desiring the finest of lifestyles, a variety of upscale homes, condos and villas, are available offering both panoramic views and amenities.
- Highland Beach is a residential community with a year-round population of 4,150 which increases to approximately 8,500 during the winter months by residents who list their northern homes as their official place of residence.
- Residents are composed of approximately 80% retirees and 20% persons employed or engaged in business enterprises in Palm Beach and Broward Counties.
Local Government website:
Local Annual Events:
Local Major League Pro Sports Teams:
- Miami Dolphins: National Football League
- Miami Heat: National Basketball Association
- Florida Marlins: Major League Baseball
- Florida Panthers: National Hockey League
Population in July 2009: 3,996. Population change since 2000: +5.9%
|Median resident age:||66.5 years|
|Florida median age:||38.7 years|
Zip Code: 33487
County: Palm Beach County
Estimated median household income in 2009: $80,742 (it was $72,989 in 2000)
Estimated per capita income in 2009: $66,512
Estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $502,703 (it was $210,400 in 2000)
Hospitals/medical centers near Highland Beach:
- Boca Raton Community Hospital (about 4 miles; Boca Raton, Fl)
- Delray Medical Center (about 5 miles; Delray Beach, Fl)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Highland Beach:
- Keiser College (about 17 miles; Ft. Lauderdale, Fl)
- Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale (about 21 miles; Fort Lauderdale, Fl)
- Florida Atlantic University; Boca Raton (about 3 miles; Boca Raton, Fl)
- Broward Community College (about 23 miles; Fort Lauderdale, Fl)
- Nova Southeastern University (about 25 miles; Fort Lauderdale, Fl)
- Palm Beach State College (about 27 miles; Lake Worth, Fl)
- Palm Beach Atlantic University (about 16 miles, Lake Worth, Fl)